Rambling, thoughts and profundities on the subject of security and privacy in Web 2.0 and in particular Virtual Universes technologies. Occasionally I might diverge at bit.

2008/04/06

Open Source Lego

I didn't think this would happen. I sort of thought that Lego's business model revolved around selling building plans for lego models, but apparently Lego does think that they sell the bricks and the plans should be for free. You can download recent Lego model building plans from their website for free. I guess they figure that if they mix at least one special part into a kit, they will make the sell. 
I really hope they succeed as I'm a big fan of Lego and I know they've been struggling. When I told people at the recent NYC metaverse meetup about the Mindstorms kit that Sifu-let 1.0 got for his birthday I could see them see all the possibilities for RL/SL mashups. (Unfortunately, the Mindstorms is not mine to play with.)

No comments: